Care Inspectorate, Head of Corporate Policy & Communications
The Care Inspectorate is the official statutory body responsible for inspecting standards and furthering improvement in social work and social care in Scotland. Following a strategic review and to support its ambition to ensure the delivery of world class care in Scotland, the Care Inspectorate is looking to recruit into the newly created and business critical role of Head of Corporate Policy and Communications.
Providing strategic leadership and aligning the policy and communications functions, the incumbent will adopt a proactive and strategic approach, maintaining and protecting the Care Inspectorate’s reputation encompassing both proactive and reactive external communications, stakeholder engagement and crisis communications. Utilising intelligence to shape and influence policy and learning at both a local and national level, the new Head of Corporate Policy and Communications will also directly contribute to the wider business transformation and continuous improvement agenda reflecting the evolving delivery model for scrutiny, assurance and improvement support.
This is both a challenging and exciting role and we are looking for an inspiring, solutions focused and forward-thinking communications professional with direct experience either managing or working closely with a policy team developing innovative solutions and policy responses to deal with emerging issues and developments. With excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills as well as relevant experience building and maintaining strong working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders, the successful candidate will also bring:
- Strong political acumen coupled with an understanding of the social care, health and early learning environment within which the Care Inspectorate operates
- Significant experience of providing communications advice and guidance to senior executives and ideally non-executive board members
- A pragmatic approach to problem solving with intellectual flexibility and agility to move easily between significant details and the bigger picture
- The ability to work at pace, resolving complex or difficult issues on behalf of the Chief Executive, or wider Senior Leadership Team
- Strong project management skills including the ability to manage time efficiently in an environment of changing priorities, working to tight deadlines and balancing immediate (both proactive and reactive activities) and long-term priorities
- Direct experience of effective decision making related to high-profile announcements, media handling issues and internal communications on behalf of the Chief Executive / wider organisation
- Relevant experience of dealing with a range of complex issues in a demanding stakeholder, and ideally political, environment
- The ability to identify and respond appropriately to emerging issues across the health and social care environments
This is a truly rewarding opportunity to enrich lives and make a real difference for the people of Scotland. For more information, please contact Douglas Adam at Livingston James, our retained recruitment advisors. To view our full Position Profile, please click here.
NB: As an organisation, the Care Inspectorate embraces agile working and whilst our headquarters are in Dundee, there is not a requirement that the successful candidate be based in Dundee full time.