*Please note this opportunity is now closed to further applications. Should you be interested in similar roles and wish to have an exploratory discussion, please contact Douglas Adam at [email protected].
Student Loans Company (SLC) is a private limited company owned by the government whose role is to administer loans and grants to around 1.5m students annually, with a total customer base of 8.5m. It has an annual budget of around £250m and we are responsible for the administration and collection in respect of a loan book of £156bn. Playing a crucial role in supporting the UK’s higher and further education sectors, SLC’s vision is to be widely recognised as an organisation that enables student opportunity and delivers an outstanding customer experience in the efficient delivery of the four UK Governments’ further and higher education finance policies.
To support their mission to enable people to invest in their futures through further and higher education by providing trusted, transparent, flexible and accessible student finance services, SLC is now looking to recruit into the business-critical role of Finance Director.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, who is Executive Director of Finance, Commercial & Risk, the Finance Director will lead a team of c55 staff involved in financial accounting and governance, business accounting (management and project accounting), financial performance and analysis and finance business partnering in relation to SLC’s own spend (£250m). Ensuring compliance with relevant SLC governance standards and Government policies and procedures you will directly support the strategic and corporate decision-making process through accurate and timely reporting of financial performance to SLC’s Executive Leadership Team, Board and Audit & Risk Committee.
Key priorities of the role include:
- Directly support the strategic and corporate decision-making process through accurate and timely reporting of financial performance to SLC’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT), Board and Audit & Risk Committee (ARC)
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with key external stakeholders and customers, in particular colleagues from the Department for Education finance and sponsor teams
- Playing an active and key role in raising awareness of all financial matters across SLC, liaising with the Head of Enterprise Risk & Compliance to ensure a robust compliance culture
- The ongoing review of systems, controls and procedures supporting the wider and ongoing continuous improvement agenda across the CFO directorate
- Leading the Directorate’s performance improvement initiative to further develop our approach to the financial management of projects and the related unit costing data including developing and embedding a robust and transparent approach to both project financial reporting and forecasting, where the “true cost” of delivery is identified and understood across the organisation
A qualified accountant, you will have a strong understanding of public sector financial management, reporting and control requirements coupled with practical experience of operational finance delivery gained in a complex operational environment with high volumes of projects and the requirement for reliable forecasting to multiple stakeholders. You must also be able to demonstrate a proven track record of leading a professional finance team in a similarly complex operational environment, ensuring service delivery within tight budgetary and timescale constraints.
With demonstrable experience of applying appropriate accounting and costing techniques in a multifaceted operating environment coupled with strong strategic financial planning and forecasting experience, the successful candidate will also be able to demonstrate:
- Proven track record in strategic planning and supporting the decision-making process through the provision of meaningful financial information and analysis.
- Relevant experience of effectively partnering with the business in the achievement of its wider corporate objectives.
- Evidence of leading and managing both budgeting and reporting processes
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work in a high pressure, political environment.
- Highly effective communication skills, with an ability to inspire and encourage debate on strategic issues with all stakeholders.
SLC embrace agile working and whilst this post is based in Glasgow, it is currently envisaged that the successful candidate would not necessarily need to be in the office on a full time basis.
Student Loans Company is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity