United Wholesale (Scotland) Ltd is the largest independent cash & carry operation in Scotland with sales over £270m over 3 sites with a large distribution operation, having grown by a factor of 8 times over the past 15 years.
United Wholesale supply independent retailers with world-renowned brands in supplying a wide range of businesses including hotels, shops, restaurants, clubs, pubs and BB’s with a large range of different food and catering products. The business covers almost any of their customers’ requirements with grocery and dry goods, wines and spirits, beers, soft drinks, tobacco, cleaning products and toiletries. A significant percentage of the sales are delivered which involves orders, picking, packing and delivery.
United Wholesale also supplies over 500 Day-Today Elite, Day-Today, Day-Today Express and USave convenience stores in Scotland, supplying a fantastic range of products. These stores take great pride in servicing their local communities, providing a ‘one-stop-shop’ for customer essentials.
Due to the ongoing growth and diversification of the business, United Wholesale is seeking a commercial Financial Director to help drive the company forward in an efficient and well controlled manner, together with other key managers and directors.
The Financial Director will be responsible for the following key deliverables:
Accounting, Reporting & Commercial
- Taking ownership for monthly and annual reporting and audit in a timely manner, and ensure the Balance sheet is accurately managed
- Prepare financial reports for the Board and senior management team
- Producing timely management information including sales reporting, profitability analysis, KPI & competitor benchmarking analysis, and cost and people management
- Provide guidance and challenge to the Commercial senior management team
- Cash-flow management with clear forecasting for senior management
- Carry out analysis for all new investment opportunities
- Improving business efficiency, profitability and bottom line performance through active participation in commercial and strategic decision making
- Building budgets and financial forecasts with key stakeholders
- Improving systems, controls and processes across the business
- Corporate tax, Duty, VAT and Payroll, in compliance with all HMRC rules
- Meeting all statutory and legal requirements for the business in its industry
- Managing and delivery with a team of up to 10 staff
Governance & Legal
- Awareness of company secretarial responsibilities
- Ensure that all relevant regulatory and statutory requirements are fulfilled
- Performing the role as the company’s Senior Accounting Officer
External & Internal Relations
- Represent United Wholesale (Scotland) externally with bankers, auditors, other professionals, customers and key suppliers
- Partner with the United Wholesale (Scotland) buyers, operations teams and depot managers to drive best practice and strong leadership that will ensure the business maintains its market leading position
- Lead, develop and evaluate the finance team at United Wholesale (Scotland)
- Provide overall leadership and influence to teams across the business, from shop floor to board room
- Provide a flexible attitude to all tasks on a day to day basis. Firm and persistent when expressing views, but a good listener comfortable changing course if given compelling reasons
The Financial Director position requires a professionally qualified accountant who possesses excellent track record of success within similar senior finance roles. Typically, candidates will already be operating at Financial Director level, but applications are also welcomed from individuals seeking their first step into a number one finance role.
Candidates will be comfortable working in a demanding environment and can develop, implement and manage effective changes at pace. It is likely that the individual has trained in a professional services firm, but has also operated within commercial environments, ideally in entrepreneur led owned managed businesses. Experience within a similar sector is advantageous, with particular interest in those coming from retail, distribution or consumer goods backgrounds.
You will be an experienced manager and will have strong leadership skills and track record in developing teams. The successful candidate will have a “can-do” approach and be able to develop managed solutions to the expectations of the business. It is essential this person is commercially orientated and is driven to deliver successful, pragmatic solutions for the company.
What to do Next
To find out more or see a full Position Profile, please contact their retained advisor, Mark Lewis at Livingston James by emailing [email protected].
Details of the competitive salary and benefits package are available on application.
Please note that any direct or third party approaches will be sent to Livingston James for review and assessment.
Livingston James is an equal opportunities advocate and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity.