*Please note this opportunity is now closed to further applications. Should you be interested in similar roles and wish to have an exploratory discussion, please contact Sophie Randles at [email protected].
James Jones & Sons Ltd is a fifth generation, family owned and managed company and is one of the UK’s most diversified and successful timber processors. The company has annual sales of £230 million, operating from 27 sites in the UK and employing more than 1200 personnel. Its principal activities are sawmilling, timber harvesting and the manufacture of pallets and engineered wood products. It has benefitted from having a stable leadership team which has balanced prudence with ambition. The company has committed more than £60 million in capital expenditure over the last five years alone and continues to invest in the business.
Reporting to Joint MDs and a member of the Senior Management team, the Group Head of HR will lead the entire HR function across the group, currently employing 1220 employees over 27 sites. The role will require an individual adept in defining, developing and implementing HR strategy, policies, practices and procedures to support the business’ strategic objectives. It will be important to ultimately position the HR function internally within the organisation ensuring that HR is viewed as a true partner to the business. It is anticipated that this would also include developing effective relationships with all internal ‘customers’, empowering operational managers and increasing the level of accountability in terms of outcomes delivered.
Snapshot of Role Impact:
- A strategic HR partner who can support the joint MDs in the navigation of core people matters and challenges
- Creation of people strategies and development of solutions to help deliver against strategy
- Creation of robust people practices such as restructures, retention strategies and succession planning
- Establishment and implementation of a sustainable training and development plan, with attention placed on ensuring regular flow of future talent
- Successful design and evolution of a reward programme
- Increased commitment to D&I initiatives across all functions/areas of the business
- Influencing and building relationships with people around the business across all functions, particularly operations/general management
- A continued focused on collaboration and engagement to positively impact the culture of the business and its long-term results
- Evolvement of HR function to positively question, challenge and coach key stakeholders to help improve business efficiency and get to the root cause of people and business issues
- Effective flow of communication across the business to support and deliver against its people strategy
- Excellent technical human resources skills preferably with a CIPD or equivalent qualification
- Experience in incremental change management and the ability to bring people on the journey
- Prior experience within an industrial manufacturing/engineering environment is preferred
- Ability to drive financial and operational improvements and experience driving improvements across HR reporting
- Previous accountability for creation of policy and strategy – and the subsequent implementation of action plans
- A self-starter, able to take the initiative and push projects forward but also highly consultative and comfortable working closely with senior management
- The maturity, credibility and well-developed interpersonal skills to form relationships with a wide range of staff
- Persuasion, tact and diplomacy – demonstrating to management that the role is to assist and advise
- Gravitas and integrity – prepared to express honest views and opinion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Extremely high attention to detail and ability to drive accuracy to tight deadlines
For further information and full position profile please see below or get in touch with Lead Consultant, Sophie Randles – Director at Livingston James on [email protected]. Closing date: 28th January.
James Jones & Sons is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity.